Monday, February 26, 2007

Meet the Pets


This is Felix. He is a ten-month-old Boston Terrier and is the light of my life. I never thought I wanted a dog. During lunch, my co-worker and I often visit a pet store by the office and would look at the cute little kittens and puppies (cheap therapy). Well, I walked in one day and saw this guy (3 pounds at the time, like in the top photo) and it was love at first sight. I had to have him. My DH and I call him our "Oops Puppy" because we weren't planning to have a puppy, but we did. He was part of a rescue litter-which makes me feel better about getting him at a pet store. I wanted him to stay little and cute--and almost considered feeding him coffee and cigarettes to stunt his growth (don't think I wouldn't). But since he is such a good little puppy, he decided to top out at about 12 pounds--which is perfect.
Hovering above Felix is one of the cats, Nina ("Beans"). Beans is a crabby old lady--very vocal. She has impressed me with her acceptance of Felix--she puts up a tough front but the two of them often end up cuddling on my lap (although she'd never admit it...)
And last, we have Abbie. She's also ten and quiet as a mouse. She hides out during the day, but will always spend the night sleeping on DH's chest. She pretty much agrees to disagree with Felix and Nina--which is why I think the two of them are so tolerant of each other. Abbie will get herself in the action once in a while--usually when she is pushed over the edge or feels like being aggressive.

I do sometimes feel guilty knowing that the Abbie and Nina don't get as much attention with Felix around. Every once in a while though, all three of them will come into the bed with my husband and I for a cuddle-fest (we call this the Full Family Cuddle). Those are the moments when I truly understand the expression of "having a warm heart..."

No comments: